Changelog for Opera 9.0 Beta 1 for Windows
- This is a beta version of Opera. Use only on properly backed up computers.
- This release uses a new account storage format. If you install over an existing profile, you will be prompted to convert all accounts into the new format. This will not require a re-index. You will not be able to use the reformatted e-mail with previous versions of Opera.
- Deleting single messages from the Trash does not work.
Changes Since Opera 8.54
- New Opera Widgets feature. Widgets are small Web applications that live outside the Opera window. Press F6 to enter widgets mode. See the widgets tutorials for more details.
- Added content blocking feature. Right click on a page and select "Block content", then click on content that you want to block. Alternatively, use
to manage blocked content.
- Added search shortcut editor. Right click on a form input to add it as a search shortcut, or use
to manage search shortcuts
- Enabled support for BitTorrent.
- New search shortcut 'b' searches BitTorrent
- Added site specific preferences feature.
- Press F12 and choose to set preferences for the current site, or use to manage site specific preferences.
- Added opera:config for managing preferences.
- Web page thumbnails are now shown when hovering tabs.
- Added grouping by date and site to the History panel.
- Tabbed browsing preferences have been moved to Preferences > Advanced > Tabs.
- Implemented tab locking. Right click on a tab and select 'Lock tab'. Individual tabs cannot be closed while they are locked.
- Local stylesheets can now be specified as a directory using the [User Prefs] Local CSS Files Directory setting, and all stylesheets in that directory will be used to populate the on-demand user stylesheet menu.
- Enhanced pop-up blocker to detect more unwanted pop-ups.
- Added new error console for warnings and error messages relating to email, widgets, scripts, and other Web page technologies.
- 'Find' feature now highlights all matches when searching for text on the page.
- Added internal source viewer. Set 'Source viewer' preference to 'Opera' to use the internal source viewer. On new installs, the internal source viewer is enabled by default.
- Updated search.ini
- The file version number is now 7. All files with lower version numbers will be overwritten on upgrade.
- New shortcut 'a' for searching with answers.com.
- Changed keyboard shortcuts for closer cross-browser compatibility:
- Ctrl+T replaces Ctrl+N for opening a new tab.
- Ctrl+N opens a new browser window.
- Ctrl+D and Ctrl+Shift+D replace Ctrl+T and Ctrl+Shift+T, respectively, for adding pages to bookmarks.
- Ctrl+B can be used instead of Ctrl+D for paste-and-go.
- Added keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Enter to auto complete "www" and "com" when used in the address field.
- Simplified bookmarks and Wand dialogs.
- Added support for saving and opening Web archives.
- Changed feed notification icon.
- Removing buttons on one toolbar now removes from all open tabs not just active one.
- New styles for opera:about, opera:cache, opera:error, opera:history, opera:plugins, file: view, and Info panel.
- Default mode for "Cycle without showing list" is now visible tab order.
- "Cycle without showing list" now includes also minimized pages.
Messaging and Newsfeeds
- Enabled new IMAP code.
- New account storage format. If you install over an existing profile, you will be prompted to convert all accounts into the new format. This will not require a re-index.
- Added support for Atom 1.0.
- Added support for importing and exporting feed lists in OPML format, using
- External embeds are now always allowed in newsfeeds, and are not disabled when the "Block external elements" preference is set.
- New e-mail header toolbar.
- Added smiley menu to chat and mail toolbars.
- Up/down arrows no longer select next/previous messages in e-mail and news views when the message view has focus.
- Default mail views can no longer be renamed through the mail interface. They can be renamed using language packs.
- Added a warning when sending mail without a subject.
- User stylesheets are no longer applied to mail, news, and chat.
- Added CTCP flood protection to IRC chat.
- DCC file transfers now displayed as a link in a private chat window.
- Fix to prevent chat windows going blank when redrawing from cache.
- DCC file transfer now respects the nosave and nodownload switches in kiosk mode.
- Removed support for XML namespaces in HTML documents.
- Added support for xml:id.
- Added option to re-parse invalid XML documents as HTML after XML parsing has failed.
- Fix to prevent minimized boolean attributes from being ignored if they are followed immediately by a / character.
- Allowed self closing SCRIPT tags in HTML documents.
- Changed default UserAgent string to identify as Opera.
- Added support for the HTTP Link header.
- Removed support for the Content-Location HTTP header as a base HREF.
- Fixed several Acid 2 bugs. Opera now passes the Acid 2 test.
- Added support for CSS 3 opacity.
- Media queries now understand several CSS length units, and can check additional media features.
- Added support for CSS 3 attribute and UI selectors.
- Allowed positioned elements to appear in front of iframes and objects.
- Object iframes now accept transparent backgrounds.
- Removed box model quirk (box-sizing:border-box;) in quirks mode.
- Improved CSS error handling.
- Printing now uses backgrounds from print media instead of screen.
- Attribute selectors now use the specified value of URIs, instead of resolved values.
- Fixed handling of alternate stylesheets in XML.
- Multiple fixes for the position style.
- Improved handling of align attributes and styles.
- Multiple fixes for CSS 2.1 selectors and pseudo elements.
- Updated display:inline handling on tables according to upcoming CSS2.1 specification update.
- Multiple box model and table model fixes.
- Added support for -o-text-overflow:ellipsis, synonymous to text-overflow:ellipsis in the current CSS 3 working draft.
- Multiple fixes for lists, text decoration, forms and paged media.
- @import is now supported in user stylesheets.
- Support media queries in @import rules.
- Several BIDI fixes.
- Improved handling of tables, iframes, and BIDI in ERA.
- Body element now uses margin instead of padding by default.
- UL/OL elements now use padding instead of margin by default.
- DD elements now have a smaller indent.
- Use default handheld font size for handheld stylesheets.
- Form default margin-top is now 0, and margin-bottom now 1em.
- Several changes to the default margin and padding of legends and fieldsets.
- Added support for XSLT 1.0 and the XSLTProcessor constructor.
- Added support for XPath 1.0.
- Implemented designMode for rich text editing.
- Implemented support for canvas, as described in the Web Applications 1.0 draft, as well as the opera-2dgame context.
- Added support for Audio, as described in the Web Applications 1.0 draft.
- getAttribute and related methods now retrieve the specified value of URIs, instead of resolved values.
- getAttribute now returns null for unspecified attributes that do not have a default value.
- Improved handling of the load event when navigating back and forward through history. See the knowledge base article for more details.
- Added window.getSelection, and associated methods.
- Added Node.text, Node.textContent, HTMLTableElement.cells, Element.currentStyle, and Element.cssText properties.
- Fixed support for LSSerializer.writeToURI.
- Improved handling of offsetTop, offsetLeft, and offsetParent.
- Added support for onreadystatechange events, and the readyState property.
- Added support for onmousewheel events.
- Allowed mouse events to pass through clipped or overflowed (or otherwise transparent) regions of an element.
- Script events now report correct keyCode for insert, delete, home, end, pause/break, scroll lock and num lock keys.
- Fix to allow scripts to override a CSS #double #id selector.
- Enabled getElementById to retrieve elements based on attributes set to the ID type, by the DTD.
- XMLHttpRequest returns the status code for the cached page if the request returns the cached page.
- Added support for PUT method in XMLHttpRequest.
- <xml> elements are no longer removed from the HTML DOM.
- Added support for Web Forms 2.0.
- XHTML forms are no longer submitted if they do not have an action attribute.
- SVG support increased to SVG 1.1 basic.
- Added support for YCCK and CMYK formats in JPEG images.
- Flash is no longer bundled in the installer. The first time you visit a page that uses Flash, you will be prompted to download the Flash installer.
- Added Netscape Plug-in API extensions developed by browser and plug-in vendors.
- Fix to allow object tags with an empty or missing data attribute to load plug-ins.
- Fixed an issue when printing from Java.
- Security bar is now grayed for sites using an encrypted connection, that have a low security rating.
- TLS 1.1 and TLS Extensions enabled by default.
- Upgraded crypto library to OpenSSL 0.9.8.
- Upgrading will automatically disable 40 and 56 bit SSL/TLS ciphers.
- Updated expired TrustCenter root certificates.
- The [Adv User Prefs] section of opera6.ini has been renamed to [Network].
- Multiple stability fixes.
- When first run, Opera will attempt to import bookmarks from the default browser. Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Opera are supported.
- Fonts selection now works correctly when more than 1024 fonts are installed.
- Installer is now optionally available as an Windows Installer (MSI) package.
Need help? Hit
anytime while using Opera to access our online help files, or go here.