Opera 9.6 for Unix Changelog
Opera 9.6 is a recommended security and stability upgrade. See the Security section.
A separate changelog listing changes since Opera 9.6 Beta 1 is available.
New and improved features in Opera 9.6
Custom search engines and typed history (typed history is only the history you explicitly type or select from the address bar) are now joining bookmarks, notes, personal bar and Speed Dial in Opera Link.
Now you can preview an RSS/Atom feed before subscribing.
Follow/Ignore threads and contacts
Follow and Ignore are new features for users that receive numerous messages. It makes it easier to dismiss unimportant messages and easier to recognise important messages.
- Activate this feature by selecting Follow/Ignore in the email context menu (or click the message subject header), then select either Follow Thread or Ignore Thread.
- Also, you can click the names in the From or To headers to enable the following or ignoring of contacts.
Go To Thread
You can now also use "Go to thread" which means that you can view only the messages from that thread. This is useful for those that employ flat view.
Low Bandwidth Mode
Low Bandwidth Mode is a setting on mail accounts that makes Opera Mail use as little bandwidth as possible.
- For IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol): Opera will only synchronise new messages and it will not fetch message attachments unless requested
- For POP (Post Office Protocol): Opera will not fetch more than the first 100 lines of a message unless requested
Opera Scroll Marker
The new Opera Scroll Marker makes it easier to continue reading when you scroll through a Web page. At the end of the page it will indicate the previous position of the bottom of the screen so you can easily see where to continue reading.
Enable Opera Scroll Marker in the Preferences dialog box. Navigate to Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Browsing > Show scroll marker (check box).
- Check the box to enable Opera Scroll Marker
- Leave the box unchecked (default) to keep it disabled
Using the opera:config Preferences Editor opera:config#UserPrefs|EnableScrollMarker, you can also set Opera Scroll Marker to show every time you scroll less than a full page down or up. The options in the drop-down menu are:
- 0 — off
- 1 — show when reaching the bottom or top of the page
- 2 — always show when scrolling
Changes since Opera 9.52
- Opera now remembers the bookmark panel position after restart
- Added a setting opera:config#UserPrefs|ShowBookmarksInAddressfieldAutocompletion to prevent bookmarks from showing in the Address field auto-completion drop-down
- When setting opera:config#TransferWindow|KeepEntriesDays to 0, Opera now removes the transfer history when restarting
- Sites using HTTP Auth are now saved in typed history
- Opera now stops loading pages with iframes when closing the page or pressing stop
- Page encoding in site preferences can now be reset to automatic
- Browsing Intranet sites now works after changing proxies in a running session
- Improvements to Opera Link include the synchronization of search engines and typed history
- Changed the default global history to 1000
- Added a new default speedial.ini
- Fixed sorting by progress in Transfers
- Fixed copying of multiple entries from the history manager
- Fixed a bug that could cause notes to be lost when using certain characters
- Fixed dataloss situation when note folders had more than one line in their name
- Fixed spurious highlighting when using the space character in inline find
- Fixed an issue that would prevent links in frames from being opened by the keyboard
Mail, News, Chat
- Added popular Chinese providers in mailproviders.xml
- Made all top-level access points (except All Messages) selectable
- Now copes better with broken POP servers that send empty UIDLs
- The "Large font" setting is now respected for subjects
- Cache files from feeds no longer show up in Transfers
- Feeds are now detected even when served as text/html
- Fixed the synchronization of removed labels for IMAP accounts
- Fixed an issue where the signatures wouldn't change if the default account signature ended with a space
- Fixed an issue where sent message bodies could disappear under certain circumstances
- Fixed DCC transfers in IRC
Display and Scripting
- Improved Acid3 support: The
document property has been removed from
iframe objects for compatibility with Gecko, WebKit, and the Acid3 test
- Added support for the
- Special characters are now displayed properly in the Address bar drop-down
- Opera Dragonfly element highlighting no longer stays on the page after closing the developer tools window
- Script focused elements are no longer highlighted
- Fixed saving of SVG when right clicking
- Fixed an issue where custom search engines would not get a favicon
- Verisign and Comodo are now formally EV-enabled: see Yngve's blog post
- Fixed an issue where specially crafted addresses could execute arbitrary code, as reported by Chris of Matasano Security; see our advisory
- Java applets can no longer be used to read sensitive information, as reported by Nate McFeters; see our advisory
- Added the Opera Core version (currently "Presto/2.1.1") to the User Agent header
- Improved performance with large wand.dat files
- Fixed Fast Forward on Google search results pages
- Upgrading Opera on Debian no longer resets default x-www-browser
- Fixed an issue where text with specified size suddenly disappears on Qt4 builds