Opera 7.50 for Unix Changelog
New in Opera 7.50
Opera version 7.50 is now available for download.
Opera 7.50 adds several new features and improves on the innovations of Opera 7.
- On upgrade, all e-mail from previous Opera versions will be reindexed for faster searching and sorting. This means that e-mail indexed by Opera 7.50 will not be compatible with previous versions of Opera.
- Opera 7.50 (Beta 1 and final release both) fixes a Telnet URI handler vulnerability as reported in iDEFENSE Security Advisory 05.12.04. Users of earlier Opera versions are adviced to upgrade.
- Opera 7.50 introduces a new toolbar setup. Previous toolbar customizations will be overridden on upgrade and can no longer be used.
If you would like to see a (more detailed) listing of changes since Beta 1 only, there is a separate changelog.
Changes since Opera 7.23:
At first glance
- User interface redesigned
- Chat client
- RSS newsfeeds
- Fast full-text indexing of e-mail messages
- Support for spell check
- Graphical smileys in chat and e-mail
New chat client
- Uses the IRC (Internet Relay Chat) protocol.
- New chat panel lists visited chat rooms and status of on-line contacts.
- Textual smileys are automatically transformed to graphical ones.
- Supports transferring files by the DCC (Direct Client-to-Client) protocol.
- Faster indexing and searching of e-mail messages
- Learning spam filter and custom filters
- Spam filter will be set to "learning" on upgrade regardless of previous setting.
- New option to "Mark as spam".
- Marking message as "Not spam" no longer adds sender to contacts.
- Ctrl+X removes message from any filter
- Spam filter will be set as learning when upgrading from 7.23 regardless of previous setting.
- Unseen messages will now have the "Not visited" link color specified in Preferences > Page style > My link style.
- Graphical smileys introduced.
- "Organization" e-mail header is now indexed for searching.
- Removed mailing lists from "Active contacts" access points.
- Fixed problem with forwarding .txt attachments
- Fixed problem entering Korean characters in search fields
- Added support for subscription to RSS newsfeeds
- "Newsfeeds" added as access point in the e-mail panel.
- RSS 0.9x, 1.0 and 2.0 are supported.
- Clicking RSS links automatically adds newsfeed to Opera Mail.
- Auto-detection of RSS file (
link rel="alternate") displayed in navigation bar.
- Improved handling of contacts with multiple addresses.
- Improved handling of invalid List-ID headers.
- Improved threading of e-mail and newsgroup messages.
- Improved handling of malformed MBOX files
- Improved handling of invalid Content-Types in plain text messages
- Unread message count shown in mail panel selector button.
- Unseen e-mail messages have same color as unvisited links.
- Open access points are remembered between sessions.
- Multipart message improvements.
- Added setting (
: "Enable e-mail and chat") to allow for disabling all e-mail, news and chat functionality
- New default skin.
- New "Tools" menu.
- New "Customize toolbars" dialog for placing and customizing all toolbars.
- Toolbar version has been updated; old toolbar customizations will no longer work.
- The Hotlist has changed names to panels.
- Panel items, such as e-mail filters, are now single-click.
- 'Links' and 'Info' panels and the zoom drop-down now work also for e-mail and chat.
- Made advertisement preferences consistent with first time setup dialog; clicking on Google ads turns off the main bar, selecting "generic" turns it on.
- Added "Show only when needed" option for page bar.
- Added support for Aspell spell checker (requires separate install).
- Removed hard-coded fallback text color (black) for labels.
- Allowed for more user interface text strings to be translated.
- New "Search" panel with multiple search fields
- Enabled favicons in bookmarks and personal bar.
- "New page" button added to page bar.
- "Reuse existing page" now includes e-mail pages.
- Newly downloaded skin will not be saved if user opts not to keep it.
- Added setting to make lists with alternating background colors more accessible (disabled by default):
Color List Row Mode=1
- Added setting for controlling support of the autocomplete="off" attribute in FORMs (disabled by default):
- Added setting for reverting single-click behavior for panel items:
Hotlist Single Click=0
Keyboard and Mouse
- Improved and expanded support for drag and drop
- New mouse gestures. Rewind: Shift+Gesture left, Fast Forward: Shift+Gesture right.
- "Document Window" added to list of sections in the shortcut editors for keyboard and mouse.
- Keyboard shortcut changes:
- 5 now rightly toggles between maximized and restored page.
- i toggles between split and maximized view in e-mail pages.
- Re-introduced Ctrl+F4 for toggling panels with the panel selector.
- Ctrl+click on image opens "Save image" dialog.
- Open new page: Ctrl+N in MDI, Ctrl+Shift+N in SDI.
- Open new window: Ctrl+Alt+N in MDI, Ctrl+N in SDI.
- Close page: Ctrl+W. Closing last page in SDI closes Opera.
- Close (application) window: Ctrl+Shift+W in MDI, Ctrl+W in SDI.
- Changed keyboard shortcut for "Duplicate page" from Ctrl+Shift+N to Ctrl+Shift+Alt+N.
- Changed keyboard shortcut for "Close all" to Ctrl+Shift+N to Ctrl+Shift+Alt+W.
- CSS 'overflow' content can be scrolled using keyboard or mousewheel
Display and standards
- Overall stability improvements.
- Overall CSS support improvements.
- Added support for SCRIPTs in XML documents.
- Improved display of HTML entities in XML documents.
- Added support for the XMP HTML tag.
- Added support for inheritance of CSS background properties.
- Improvements of bidirectional text support.
- Added support for DOM_Runtime and DOMEnvironment.
Privacy and security
- Individual cookies can now be edited in the server manager
- Increased maximum number of cookies per server to 30
- Fixed Secunia Advisory #10760 (Download Extension Spoofing)
- Fixed Telnet URI handler file creation/truncation vulnerability in Opera as notified in personal communication by iDEFENSE.Telnet URI Handler issue.
- Allow Alt+Space menu when using /NoMinMaxButtons command line option
- Enabled Page bar when using /KioskWindows command line option
- Added /NoPanel as alias for /NoHotlist command line option
- /KioskButtons will now display address bar by default
- Fixed problem with Netscape bookmarks import where URL data could confuse parsing of titles
- Improved plug-in support
- Faster and more efficient image caching
- Support for starting external helper applications with files in the transfer panel. A separate ini file (filehandler.ini) specifies extension-handler mapping
- Added dialog for configuring external handlers for downloaded files
- Added Open and Open folder to context menu for transferred files
- Added support for "Detach page". A page can now be detached from the workspace from the page bar tab context menu or the context menu of the "Windows" panel list
- Default minimum font size set to 9 pixels
- Support for new start option "nosession", which opens neither saved sessions nor home page. URLs specified on the command line will be opened. Two windows can be avoided using "opera --nosession --newwindow <url>"
- Added support for named windows. A toplevel window can be assigned a name when opened from the command line. Commands like these will open page in separate windows:
- "opera -windowname mailbrowser -newpage <url>"
- "opera -windowname general -newpage <url>"
- Improved support for symlinked files. Opera will accept more files as symbolic links when data is written to the file. Example: The cookie file
- Fixed problem preventing opening of minimized windows when closing and restarting Opera
- Fixed window positioning problem when returning from full-screen mode
- Added extra monitoring code for plug-in process. Faulty plug-ins would sometimes exit the plug-in process without properly telling Opera, resulting in a short state of blocking for all pages in need of the plug-in.
- WM_CLASS property will now contain "opera", "Opera" not "opera", "opera"
- Added license dialog that will be shown the first time Opera launches.
- Text will no longer be selected when mouse changes focus to edit fields, as this would replace text in the mouse selection buffer.
- Fix to let triple-click selection work properly in form edit fields.