Changelogs for Opera 5.0 betas 2-8 for Unix
The sections of this document detail the changes made in Opera 5
for Unix from beta 2 through to beta 8.
Beta 8 for Unix
- Minor improvements for zooming (underlined links etc.)
- Improved stability a lot (especially "random" crashes)
- Minor CSS
cascading rule fix
- Fix for inaccessible links (and other elements) on certain Websites
- Horizontal scrolling is now working in fullscreen mode
- Nested folders now works again on the bookmark popup menu
- Dropdown auto completion has been improved. It will now
expand upwards if the toolbars is placed at the bottom. A
number of other fixes as well.
- Keyboard activated Copy/Cut/Paste should now be compatible with
GTK based applications.
- A HotList Copy/Cut/Paste problem that could occur after Up/Down
arrows had been used is solved.
- Triple click support in edit fields
- Improved "Do not show me again" functionality is various dialog boxes
- The "Cookie Server Filter" dialog box is now operational
- Initial sound support. This includes action sounds, but not
document background sound. The sound support depends on if
NAS is running in the system.
- The window save file is now better protected against data
corruption. A corrupted window file could cause missing scrollbars
and other problems with saved windows
- Popup windows can now be opened in the background so that they
will not interfere the current maximzed window.
- Improved session management support. Opera will now save the
state if the window manager tells it to do so (this is what
happens if Opera is running while the window mananger shuts down)
- Window toolbars buttons will now use pixmaps and colors to
tell the document state better than before.
- Context sensitive help for all dialogs
- "Sans-Serif" element of the "CSS Generic Font Family"
is now read properly from opera.ini
- The transfer window has been upgraded. It can now be made a
tear-off window that lives outside the opera workspace.
- Support for configurable toolbar buttons and special button support.
This is still only available editing the button.ini file.
- A page can now be saved as text as well as in
- The SpaceBar behavior is extended. If a link is active by keyboard
navigation, then the link will be activated when SpaceBar is pressed,
otherwise is does a PageDown action.
- The find toolbar is now functional.
About the plug-in support
The Opera plug-in support is ready. However, no plugins are available in
this release. Netscape plugins are currently not supported, but there will be
a solution for this shortly.
Beta 7 for Unix
- A new Auto completion drop down box mode has been added to the
URL entry control.
The feature is optional (but highly recommended) and can be activated
from the preferences dialog box.
- Nicknames are now supported with its own dialog box (Shift-F2)
- Document popup menu:
- Document menu system has been reworked. Improved support for Frame
documents (Frame reload etc). The image menu now contains the image
- An "Image property" dialog box is available from the document image
- The current document can now be validated. This feature is available
from the document popup menu. Use this feature first if you have
problems to display a page.
- A document can now be reloaded automatically.
- Some pages in the preference dialog box have been redesigned to make
them simpler to use. The dialog box will now remember and restore the
last open page.
- The default GUI
font can now be selected from the preference dialog box.
- Dialog boxes for saving files and associating file types have become
easier to use.
Hotlist / bookmarks:
- The hotlist window can now store all three sort modes (including "User
defined") on exit. Keyboard navigation have been improved in the hotlist
as well. Copy/Cut/Paste accelerators should now work as expected. The
"visited" and "Created" properties of a hotlist item are now displayed
- It is now possible to select which foreign bookmark systems to import.
The hotlist will only display the folders for the chosen bookmark systems.
- The bookmark menus now use a better size control to avoid too large menus
to pop up if the folder contains many bookmarks.
- Partial support for the KDE1 drag and drop. Opera will detect a drops from this
- Searching has become better. A dialog box will notify when there are no matches.
- Some new keyboard shortcuts (Esc-Esc will leave fullscreen and CTRL-Enter will
toggle fullscreen mode)
- Major speed optimization for large images
- Optimization for small, tiled images
- Removed a serious memory leak in the
- Some fully valid JPEG
images weren't recognized, and thus failed to decode - FIXED
- Handle decoder failures in a better way
- Transfer window:
- Rescue File support for transferwindow, so that if Opera crashes,
downloads may be resumed next time Opera is started
- Improved time left estimate calculation
- The estimated remaining download time is now displayed on in the window
title and on the window tab.
- Ensure that form controls that gain focus become visible (by
scrolling them automatically)
- focus rectangle around radio buttons and checkboxes
- Added support for disabled and read-only form elements
- Transparency around radiobuttons/checkboxes
- Zooming for radiobuttons/checkboxes
- Support for non-default fonts (i.e. font attributes specified via
- Personal data can now be pasted into forms from the form popup menu.
- Print dialog settings are now saved through sessions.
- Option to print only selected pages
- Print transparent, tiled images correctly
- Improved cookie support. You will get dialogs telling about errors, security
issues etc if you have chosen to display this.
- Plugin support (Opera-Qt-Plugins)
- User agent reports correct OS
- Support for frame resizing and frameborder
- Border ellipse/polygon support, so that keyboard navigation in AREA elements
- Support for offline mode
- External news client may now be set to handle news:// addresses
- Added support for CSS property text-decoration: blink, and
CSS selector A:active
- The current window state can now be saved to a file and restored from a file.
- The current window state is now regularly saved to disk and is automatically
restored if Opera terminated too early.
- Fixed a font selection fallback problem (got the wrong font face in some cases)
- Fixed elements/background will now scroll without any flickering (
with double-buffering turned on, that is)
- Removed a crash that occured when copying large amounts of text to the clipboard
- Some minor hostname resolver fixes
- Scrollbar fix for large documents
- Handle authentication cancellation correctly
- Fixed ECMAScript
wrong timezone bug
- Search: Removed a bug that caused every second match to be ignored
- New command line options:
- -fullscreen (start in fullscreen)
- -restore (restore UI to factory
- -nowin (start with empty browser)
- Support for an environment variable $OPERA_DIR, which points to
the shared resources directory (default: /usr/share/opera)
Beta 6 for Unix
- Ad banner support
- CTRL+Backspace will replace the text in the URL
entry field with the current selected text
- A link will always be opened in a new window when activated by the
Middle Mouse Button
- Toolbar positions and layout are now saved through sessions
- The selected Qt widget style is now saved through sessions
- Resize animation can now be disabled and saved through sessions
- The size of New normalized windows is larger
- Activating fullscreen will now automatically hide toolbars and other
- The Home button of the button toolbar has got DnD capabilites
- Added support for "Linked Window"
- A Copy operation in the HotList will now save the
URLs to the system clipboard buffer as well
- First letter navigation in the HotList can be enabled or disabled
- The Hotlist will now be saved to disk once contents is modified
- Remote operation from the commandline. You can open a page in an already
running instance of Opera (use the "-help" option on the commandline for
- Toolbar pixmaps are now changed on the fly (no need to restart Opera)
when changed from the preference dialog box
- The progress toolbar is more configurable. Each element except for the
URL input field can be hidden. The state is saved
- Printing works better
- Print preview mode
- Better font handling
- Fixed some problems with inline frames (IFRAME)
- Fixed asynchronous resolver bug
(it failed to look up addresses in /etc/hosts)
- Fixed the transparent background bug
- and much more...
Beta 5 for Unix
- Search facility of the URL toolbar
- Improved the password dialog
- File type association works better
- Improved windows settings file
- UI improvements
- Printing support - still a bit unstable
(no print preview yet, but you can print to file)
- Transfer window works better
borders on tables fixed
Beta 4 for Unix
- Asynchronous DNS
lookup is stable it used to hang after being cancelled - this was
mentioned as a "known problem" for beta 3)
- Improved Certificate Dialogs
- Fixed a couple of SSL
- Faster scrolling and repainting
- File dialog boxes now remember the last directory used
- Local file browsing bugs fixed
- Got rid of the X server slowdown (when iconifying Opera, or working on
a different virtual desktop than the one Opera is running on the X server
used to slow down the entire system dramatically)
- Support for image map polygons
- Fixed the HTTP
- User agent strings now look as they should
- Improved windows settings file
- Improved font sizing
- Default font for PRE elements didn't work on all systems - should be
- Implemented CSS "bolder" and "lighter"
- Fixed "Save Link Document As"
- Support for fixed elements (fixed background too)
- Fonts on form controls can be set from the preferences dialogs
- Improved tooltips
- UI improvements
Beta 3 for Unix
- Users can select their own toolbar sets in the preferences.
- Default and defsmall buttons sets are included in the packages
- Window Storage File
- Hotlist Nicknames
- Keyboard link navigation
- File Upload support
- Server name completion www...com
- Added menu icons for X11, Gnome, Kde, Kde2 to the packages
- Added more style sheets to the packages
- Added folder images to the packages
- "Links in frame" window (Ctrl+J)
- Shift-G bug is fixed
- 'selected' attribute now works in <option> elements in <select>
elements inside <td> elements
- Resolver bug on internal network addresses and server name completion
- Scrambled ALT text on images that didn't specify the ALT attribute
- Got rid of the "QString::arg(): Argument missing" message that used to
appear in the console when using HTTPs.
- The URL field is now updated when browsing
FTP or locally
- Got rid of a lot of "Internal program error" messages - now they display
the proper error message instead
Beta 2 for Unix
- Fixed PNG color bug (red and blue components were swapped on
little endian systems)
- Image caching works better - this improves performance drastically
- Added keyboard shortcuts
- Zooming works better - incomplete
- URL auto-completion in the progress bar
- Replaced most generic error messages to show proper error messages
- PageUp / PageDown now scrolls slightly less than the entire window height
- Word wrap in text areas
- Middle-clicking on a link now works properly
animation optimization - incomplete
- Default hotlist provided (will be used when no ~/.opera/opera.adr exists)
- Removed various crashers