Opera 12.00 for UNIX Changelog
Release date: 2012-06-14
Opera 12.00 is a recommended upgrade offering new and improved features, plus security and stability enhancements.
New Features and Important Notes
- Opera now runs plug-ins as a separate process, allowing for more control when a plug-in misbehaves. This feature will enhance security and stability.
- For more information about why out-of-process plug-ins are important please see our article describing the feature.
64-Bit Mac and Windows Versions
- The 64-bit version of Opera will offer performance improvements for some functions and allow Opera more freedom in allocating memory.
- New, lightweight themes make it easier to customize the browser. Install or change themes at the click of a button, without restarting the browser.
- The themes gallery can be viewed here, and for more information on how to design themes please see our article describing the new theme system.
Address Field Enhancements
- Numerous improvements to the address bar have been made:
- Improved address field and address bar drop-down suggestions
- Smart URL shortening in the address field drop-down
- The page title and the page excerpt will be used for full page search results
- URL and page content columns in the address field drop-down have been combined
Experimental Full Hardware Acceleration
- Hardware acceleration allows Opera to offload graphics rendering from the processor (CPU) to the graphics card (GPU), making graphics intensive operations such as animations faster.
- This feature is disabled by default. To enable it you may set EnableHardwareAcceleration to 1. WebGL (which takes advantage of Hardware Acceleration) can be enabled by setting EnableWebGL to 1.
- To find out more about creating webpages with WebGL, please see our developer article.
Right-to-Left (RTL) Script Support Added, Language Support Expanded
- RTL support will bring additional stability for certain languages. Persian, Urdu, Hebrew, and Arabic languages added.
Window and Tabs API
- Extensions will now be able to interact with tabs, create tab groups, and manage windows.
Opera Unite, Opera Widgets, and Opera Voice Discontinuation
- Opera Unite and Opera Widgets will be off by default in Opera 12.00, and will eventually be phased out of the Opera browser in the future. Voice support will be removed as of Opera 12.00, as the voice-detection library is no longer supported by the third-party vendor.
- To find out more, please see our announcement.
- Developers are encouraged to move their solutions to the extensions platform, for information on converting a Widget to an extension, please see this article.
Redesigned Opera Help
- Opera Help ( F1 or ⌘ + ? for Mac) has been redesigned to be more user-friendly, and also align it more with the browser look and feel. To improve discoverability, Opera Help topics have been broken up and restructured into categories based on what users want to do, rather than reflect the menu structure. This is the first phase of a long-term project to improve Opera Help.
Web Specifications Support
- Opera 12.00 will include changes in the Opera Presto 2.10 engine up to core-integration-point 289.
- Initial support for real-time communication has been added. Allowing the source of HTML5
<video> to be set to the user's webcam.
- HTML5 Drag and Drop
- Drag and drop enables webpages to have elements that the user can drag from one page to another, or from their desktop to the webpage.
- CSS3 Animations and Transitions
- Support for animations and transitions has been updated and expanded.
- Do Not Track
- Added support for the Do Not Track (DNT) HTTP header.
- Paged Overflow
- An innovative new set of CSS constructs that allow webpages to be split up into paged media, revolutionizing the Web reading experience.
- Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) for XMLHttpRequest
- CORS enables more secure and flexible communications between websites.
General and User Interface
- A custom user agent preference has been added to opera:config
Display and Scripting
For a complete list of bug fixes for this version, please see the full bug fixes list.
- Fixed an issue where hidden keyboard navigation could allow cross site scripting or code execution, as reported by Jordi Chancel; see our advisory
- Fixed an issue where a combination of clicks and key presses could lead to cross site scripting or code execution, as reported by Jordi Chancel; see our advisory
- Fixed an issue where carefully timed reloads, redirects, and navigation could spoof the address field, as reported by Jordi Chancel; see our advisory
- Fixed an issue where pages could prevent navigation to a target page, spoofing the address field, as reported by Code Audit Labs of vulnhunt.com; see our advisory