Opera 11.10 for UNIX changelog
Release date: April 12, 2011
Opera 11.10 is a recommended upgrade offering new and improved features plus stability enhancements.
For further reference, please see:
New and improved features
- Opera 11.10 uses "Barracuda" as its code name.
Opera Presto 2.8 rendering engine
URL Filter API for Opera extensions
The URL Filter API for Opera extensions defines a DOM interface that allows extensions to add temporary rules to Opera's
native content blocker. Rules added through this API are associated with an extension and apply as long as an extension
is enabled. Once an extension is disabled or the browser is shut down, the temporary rules are discarded.
- It defines the API that is applied to an extension browsing context.
- An extension browsing context is a browsing context that implements the Opera extension interface (opera.extension).
- See: URL Filter API for Opera extensions
Opera adds support for the Google WebP image format.
- This enhances Opera Turbo's compression performance with images.
- WebP is a new image format that provides lossy compression for photographic images.
- A WebP file consists of VP8 image data, and a container based
on the Resource Interchange File Format (RIFF).
- Written in YAML:
- A human friendly data serialization standard for all programming languages
- A tool for visual layout development of YAML based CSS layouts
- Adaptation to different string sizes for different languages
- Changes in layout for a specific platform to get closer to platform guidelines
- Dialogs with variable contents
- Subtle animations and messages have been added to improve discoverability of Opera features.
Opera Dragonfly beta 1
Opera has improved its Dragonfly debugging tool with the release of Opera Dragonfly beta 1. Opera Dragonfly covers the full
how CSS rules apply to the DOM. It supports all the newest web technologies, including SVG and HTML5 APIs such as Web Storage.
- Enables stepping through your code line by line, setting break points along the way.
- Added new types of break points and more granular control.
- CSS inspector
- Check out what CSS rules apply to which element, and what rules are inherited or set by browser defaults.
- Overridden rules are highlighted showing what styles are, or are not applied.
- Use the CSS editing feature to edit existing properties and values.
- Use the auto-complete feature to make editing faster and more convenient.
- DOM inspector
- Allows inspection of the updated DOM and all of its properties.
- The DOM can be edited to experiment with changes directly in the browser.
- Network inspector
- Allows inspection of the HTTP request and response headers.
- A summary of each request is shown, with the method type, response status and the time taken to be retrieved.
- Drill down to see full details of each requests header.
- Find latency, see how resources download and in what order, and even view cached resources.
- Resource inspector
- See all site resources such as images, scripts, fonts, HTML files and videos at a glance.
- Storage inspector
- Cookies and Web Storage can be dynamically updated, tested, inspected, and manipulated.
- Error console
- Allows you to see, filter and log any errors in your scripts, pointing to the exact position where the error occurred.
- Use the Error console in combination with the other tools to hunt down and fix your site's bugs.
- Debug your phone or TV
- Debug pages whether they are on your computer or a supported device, such as a phone running Opera Mobile 10 for Windows
- You can connect to any device running Opera Presto 2.1 or above and debug using your computer's screen and keyboard. There
is no need to struggle inputting test data with your phone's keypad again.
- Opera Widgets can also be debugged via remote debugging.
- Design utilities
- A color picker and a screen magnifier allow you to pick out colors from a website or widget.
- The average color of an area can be selected to make it easier to pick out colors from bitmap images.
- Chosen colors can be stored in a palette for later access.
- Open source
- Built using the open web standards you know and love, Opera Dragonfly's source is available to view.
- Not only that, but it is released on a Apache 2.0 license, meaning it is free as in freedom, as well as in beer.
- Join in the project, or just check out the source code at the Opera
- Added support for phrase searching.
- Improved CJK searches.
- Improvements made to the panel, including a setting to disable automatic toggling.
- Improved support when using the Opera Mail client with a Gmail IMAP account.
- Opera now recognizes the special IMAP folders "Sent items", "Spam", "Trash" and treats them as equivalents of the native
Sent, Spam and Trash views in Opera Mail. This also works for other IMAP servers that support the
SPECIAL-USE extensions for the IMAP specification, including
the Fastmail IMAP service.
- Opera now recognizes the special way in which Gmail duplicates messages that appear in the "All Mail" IMAP folder and
the various folders created by Gmail's own "labels" (including
Inbox). To make the best use of this, it is recommended that you subscribe to the all the Gmail IMAP folders (this
is a change from earlier advice to suggested users to unsubscribe from the
- Opera Mail will then make sure that messages do not show up twice in its "Unread" and "Recieved" views. As for other views
like "Mailing lists", "Contacts", "Labels", and "Attachments", duplication can still occur there. You can improve on this
for now by unchecking "Show hidden" for such views (use the "View" button in the mail view, then "Show > Show hidden").
- Search hijacking protection: Opera now prevents third party applications from hijacking searches and other customizations
- Added a Search field to error pages, where the browser will make a search request over the net for suggestions and display
- Added Speed Dial animation to help when reordering (dragging and dropping) existing Speed Dial cells, using smooth visual
- Added a new "logo finder" which keys in on the main title of a page; diabled when "Reload every" is applied.
- Improvements have been made to the Speed Dial flow layout.
- Added the ability to set the number of Speed Dial columns (automatic by default).
- Added a new dialog when adding/editing Speed Dials
- It is now possible to add a custom title to Speed Dials, through the new add/edit dialog.
- Sites can now reload Speed Dials automatically using one of two methods:
- HTTP header:
- HTML code:
<meta http-equiv="preview-refresh" content="seconds">
- The Speed Dial thumbnail/icon is now determined using these criteria (in order):
- Send a http header to tell the server it is a Speed Dial request
- Detect big icons:
<link rel=icon,apple-touch-icon ...> and display them instead of a thumbnail
- Find the important part of the page (logo), and zoom in closer
- Apply CSS
view-mode: minimized when generating the thumbnail
- Updated graphics for Speed Dial and callout dialogs
- Speed Dial now has automatic zooming
- Speed Dial options are instantly applied
- Added support for the
Web specifications support
For your guide, Opera web specification support references are located at:
- W3C CSS Multi-column Layout Module
- W3C CSS Device Adaptation (viewport) specification support
- W3C CSS
cursor property values support
- Removed support for UTS22: 1.4 charset alias matching.
- W3C HTML5
data-* global attributes
- W3C HTML5 Elements
- W3C HTML5
- Added support for the SOCKS Protocol Version 5.
- Must be configured via opera:config
- SOCKS server must be entered as an IP address
- Uses local DNS information
- As stated, this can be adjusted in the Opera Preferences Editor located at: opera:config > Proxy.
- See: RFC 1928 - SOCKS Protocol Version 5
W3C File API
- Added support for the W3C Web Open Font Format (WOFF).
Changes since Opera 11.10 beta
- Updated graphics for Speed Dial and callout dialogs
- Improved performance and resizability of internal pages
- Improvements made to the Extension Manager design
- Updated localization
- Crashes on tetris, browser-pong and some other extensions
- Opera occasionally writes files with cropped and/or corrupted names
- If authentication with auth.opera.com fails, there is no error message
- Speed Dial fixes:
- Speed Dial "Configure.." button not being translated
- Not being able to drag a tab, link, or url into Speed Dial
- Tabbing on Speed Dial not cycling a selection back to the top
- Maintaining Tab key press flow between thumbnails after they are swapped
- Speed Dial options not being centered on non-compositing systems
- Pasting primary UNIX buffer on Speed Dial stopped working
- Implemented animation when adding speed dials
- Thumbnail loading for My Opera does not work
- Console messages not including a timestamp
- Error Console not remembering its position and size when re-opened
- Absence of the SVG console error
- Tab activation order being wrong when minimizing tabs
- Not sending referrer when using middle click, or using mouse gestures
- Crash on exit after viewing a downloaded file's properties from the download tab
- Not being possible to select stacked tab by hovering the thumbnails
- Thumbnails in tab stacks not being updated on window resize
- No generic views after importing multiple mail accounts in a clean install
- Not being able to click on a single tab tooltip (thumbnail) to switch tabs
- Black gap occurring between the address bar and bookmark bar with native skins
- Crash occurring when adding/deleting bookmarks
- Crash on using a visual mouse gesture to get back to startup page
- Search engine menu not closing after selecting a new search engine
- Wrong search icon occurring in hotclick pop-up menu
- New context menu appears when closing a context menu
- Tabs being cut off with tab bar on the left or right side when "Wrap to multiple lines" selected
- Removed striped panel background and associated image
Display and scripting
- Added partial support for the HTML5 File API
- Implemented HTML5
- Increased document cache from 200 to 300 MBs
- Now using W3C Widgets <update-description> for Opera Widgets as well
- Implemented the W3C's "view-mode" media feature in Opera
- Removed the
-o prefix of CSS zoom cursors
- Added support and use of
- Further improvements to thumbnail quality
- Crash on widgets using media elements when pointing to internal resources
- Crash after uninstalling or disabling an extension which uses the Tabs api
- Crash when enabling Opera Dragonfly
- Crash on hovering a floated element with transforms applied
- Crash on Tomato Firmware v1.28.1816 Status Device List page
- Crashes on futura-sciences.com, seoptimise.com, mitosyfraudes.org and others
- Windowed plug-in position not being updated when moved in an overflowed container
extension.broadcastMessage fails for message handlers on UserJS side
- Failing to parse an XML document every second reload
- A memory leak fix
- Back from Google search result being inconsistent, sometimes going back two pages, sometimes cannot go back at all
- Relatively positioned image links being cut off on scroll
- Menus on dpreview.com not working
- Crash occurring with games on zylom.com
- Send a
_NET_WM_MOVERESIZE_CANCEL to the window manager when window drag ends
- If the
xdg-user-dirs are not defined, they should not show in the Places list in the X11 File dialogs
- Margins of widgets in declarative ui dialogs being incorrect in X11 mode
- Spatnaving in an
overflow:hidden box not scrolling the box
- Hidden animated .gif causing high CPU load in Opera because of constant repaints
- Opera Dragonfly: Eval-ing arguments returns unhandledException
- Crash when using spell check with a Korean dictionary
- Opera Dragonfly: Eval fails in new thread
BeforeCSS broken; changing CSS source fails if there are external stylesheets
- Menu not closing until the action completes
- Left auto offset being incorrect for an absolutely positioned floated inline or inline-block
- Absolutely positioned child of an element with height larger than its parent with hidden overflow generating a scrollbar
as if its ancestor had not had non-visible overflow
box-shadow mixing with
opacity results in clipped shadows
zoom giving text rendering problems
- Floats not clearing if elements with
clear are preceded by an element with a negative bottom margin
- Events and
:hover not firing on element that has absolutely positioned parent with clipping applied
- Border disappearing when parent container is an
being < 1
width/height of overflow auto elements not compensating for scrollbar
- Setting form action causes error when reading out
object elements inside a form
:after content incorrectly adding to an element's height
- Text overlaps on BlackBerry product site: Cufon font replacement not initializing due to
true for empty sheets
- worldoflogs.com display issues
- Can not add options to newly created
SELECT that is not in the DOM; only the first two sub levels in a "tree"
working on elfa.se
- Embedded Flash with
src starting with "file" and with colon in URL fails to load
- Images (especially background image) flickering when following a link on the same domain
- Text selection not painting correctly when selecting between two block elements
- Bing.com hotels popup autocloses on opening after being closed the first time
- Inline element overflow being clipped when
opacity is applied
nodename on an unknown tag kills scripting; parsed to
- Iframe with empty scrolling attribute getting no scrollbar, and is unscrollable
- New image viewer breaking platform/user key bindings (fast forward) in a directory of images
- Crash when passing empty parameter to a Java applet
- Search term in search suggestion
GET requests not getting URL encoded
- Wrong text color occurring in popup menus for many styles and color settings under KDE
- X11 File selector selecting the wrong directory
- Crash triggered when enabling fullscreen mode, using visual tabs, and various other things
- X-Purpose header being added twice for
- Iframe advertisement being misplaced on a zoomed-in thumbnail
- Unwanted caching of widget files when loaded directly from disk
Mail, news, chat
- Added support for XLIST IMAP extension
- Added support for SPECIAL-USE
- Added support for a trash and spam IMAP folder
- No generic views after importing multiple mail accounts in a clean install
- Right-click text box menu appearing after close of several right-click menus (Notes, Mail, Chat)
- List view being corrupt and scambled
- Mail not always being filtered before body is selected or downloaded
- First mail attachment can not be deleted
- Client certificate export not working
- Improved power usage
- Problems connecting to HTTP proxy after adding SOCKS support