Opera 10.60 beta 1 (with Opera Widgets for Desktop) for UNIX changelog
Release date: June 16, 2010
This is a beta version of Opera. Please use it only on properly backed up computers. It incorporates new
features and stability adjustments.
- Note: This UNIX beta release offers a partial implementation of geolocation services based on IP address recognition. WiFi recognition will follow shortly.
- User-enabled geolocation services are provided through Google Location Services (GLS).
- An address bar map pin icon indicates a Web page is accessing the Geolocation API.
- Opera geolocation services support the W3C Geolocation
API Specification (http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-geolocation-API-20081222/).
- A user decides to share or not share their device location with a Web site based on trust; see
section 4.2 (http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source.html#privacy_for_recipients) of the W3C Geolocation specification.
- Further information is available at the Opera Desktop Team blog: "The
return of Geolocation" (http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/02/05/skin-fixes-unite-and-then-some).
- See this Opera demo (http://html5demos.com/geo).
Offline Web Applications
- Support is added for Offline Web Applications (http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/offline.html#offline)
implementing the user interface for caching.
- This allows documents to communicate with each other regardless of their source domain, and is designed in a way which
does not enable cross-site scripting attacks.
- See this Opera demo (http://html5demos.com/offlineapp).
- Web Workers (http://www.w3.org/TR/workers/) is an API for running scripts
in the background independently of any user interface scripts. This allows for long-running scripts that are not interrupted
by scripts that respond to clicks or other user interactions, and allows long tasks to be executed without yielding to keep
the page responsive.
- See this Opera demo (http://html5demos.com/worker).
- The WebM format consists of the VP8 video and Vorbis audio
codecs wrapped inside a .webm container. It is based on the Matroska media container format, and offers high-quality
video with fast seeking.
- WebM works together with the HTML5
<video> element supported in the Opera Presto rendering engine.
- See these Opera articles:
- See this Opera demo (http://people.opera.com/howcome/2010/video/norway/index.html).
Better integration with UNIX native systems
- No longer uses Qt; now relies on native integration via Opera's "Quick" toolkit utilizing GTK or KDE4 libraries if available
- Cross-platform bytecode interpreter for a new register-based instruction set
- Internal object model with automatic classification and inline property caching
- Machine code generation (JIT compiler)
- Divided garbage collection heap: automatically traverses the memory of active heaps
- Caching of compiled programs
- Reduced memory usage
- Further Carakan information (http://my.opera.com/core/blog/2009/12/22/carakan-revisited)
Opera Presto 2.5 rendering engine
The Opera Presto 2.5 rendering engine includes the following additions and improvements.
- CSS 2.1
border-radius property (rounded corners)
- CSS3 Backgrounds and Borders
- CSS3 2D Transforms
- CSS3 Transitions
- HTML 5
<video> element DOM APIs to reflect changes in the specification
- HTML 5
<param> element (child of the HTML 5
<object> element) support for controlling
buffered-rendering property; see the
W3C reference (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/painting.html#BufferedRenderingProperty)
- Text search inside SVG
- Animated raster images (APNG, GIF) in all the SVG elements that support raster graphics, i.e.,
Opera Vega graphics library
- Renders all graphics in Opera
- Employs rounded corners, box shadow, animations, etc.
- Improved support for SVG and the HTML 5
- Further Vega information (http://my.opera.com/core/blog/2009/02/04/vega)
Opera Widgets for Desktop
Although they run outside the browser, Opera Widgets have been treated as entities inside the browser in many respects.
The new Opera Widgets for Desktop ends this dependency on the browser and moves Opera Widgets to the next
level: that of first-class applications. Above all, Opera Widgets for Desktop gives widgets the potential to replace some
native applications on the computer.
Opera Widgets for Desktop includes the following features:
- A Widget manager located within the UNIX Applications menu.
- Widget lifespans are separated from the Opera desktop browser.
- Each widget runs in a separate process.
- Integration with the operating system includes support for creating desktop and application shortcuts.
- Widget control buttons organize important actions:
- Support is provided for different widget modes such as "Application" and "Widget".
- Notification pop-ups are supported.
- Password manager is supported.
- File I/O (Input/Output) access is supported.
- The upgrading of installed widgets from current to new runtime is supported.
- Improved support for Opera Dragonfly is provided.
- Remote debugging is possible; configurable via a widget's context menu.
Non-modal notification messages
- Notification message windows no longer interrupt workflow
- Switching of tabs or windows while these dialogs are displayed is now allowed
- Creating, browsing, and then closing private tabs and private windows removes all records of Web sites visited through
- Using the traditional new Opera "O" menu or the traditional Opera File menu, go to:
- File > New Private Tab
- File > New Private Window
- Support is established for:
- Session storage: offers a temporary storage of data.
- Local storage: stores data for a longer period until the user explicitly clears it.
- The Address field autocomplete list now includes opera:webstorage.
- Warning dialogs when exceeding storage quotas:
- User option is available to increase, or set unlimited quotas for Web storage.
- See: W3C Web Storage (http://www.w3.org/TR/webstorage/).
Web SQL Database
- Support is established for:
- Storage of data in a more structured manner.
- Querying data using SQL.
- Warning dialogs when exceeding storage quotas:
- User option added to increase, or set unlimited quotas for Web database.
- The Address field autocomplete list now includes opera:webdatabases.
- See: W3C Web SQL Database (http://www.w3.org/TR/webdatabase/).
Changes since Opera 10.53 beta 1 (with Opera Widgets for Desktop) for UNIX
- Cross-document messaging
- W3C reference (http://dev.w3.org/html5/postmsg/#web-messaging)
- See this Opera demo (http://achau.appspot.com/demo/html5/crossdoc/index.html).
- Fonts for Asian languages: added sets of specific fonts to be used for CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) web sites
- The ability to show suggestions in the search field when using Wikipedia
- Added "Menu" to the Opera button
- Visual Speed Dial adjustments, including:
- Speed dials (and tab-previews on hover) changed from 4:3 to 16:9 (wide screen format)
- New resizing behavior for thumbnails
- New default background
- Bing is the new Speed Dial search engine
- Icons are replacing thumbnails for some internal tab types, such as mail and downloads
- Scrollbar knob resizing to correspond with big pages
- Storing the list of confirmed intranet servers in Preferences instead of relying on typed history
- Add Opera Portal to "Subscribe to this feed using"
- Support added for Clipboard Managers
- Support added for X11 based printer dialog
- Implemented a color selector
- Java now working properly in UNIX platform builds
- Pressing Enter to select an item in a dropdown box incorrectly submits a form
- Opera shutting down when uninstalling widgets via the panel
- Some subfolders in bookmarks not being reachable with the mouse
- Menu bar corrupting if a skin is applied
- When using F2 (Go to page), typed text is appended instead of replacing the pre-existing URL
- Unable to keep the bookmarks menu open without holding the mouse
- Opera closing when trying to block page content (ads)
- User interface not restoring properly when returning from fullscreen mode
- Searching from the context menu not working everytime
- Shut down when saving an Opera session
- Various problems relating to popup menus
- Not being able to remove widgets with Cyrillic names
- Inspect Element not being the last item in Image Properties
- Shutting down when in the Save As and Open dialog boxes
- Shutting down when right clicking Google Earth plugin
- Issue with focus in the Google Earth plugin
- Toolbar missing after starting with a new page if the source viewer was previously an active tab
- Speed Dial fixes:
- Dragging a Speed Dial entry to another position executes default action on target in addition to dropping
- Visual glitch occurring in the Close button
- Backgrounds of Speed Dial dialogs being too transparent
- Titles not being shown when Speed Dial is set to Read Only
- Visual degradation occurring when setting opacity to a low value (disabling opacity for now)
- Shut down when hovering a Speed Dial tab
- Buttons located at the bottom overlapping when height is reduced
- Using the right mouse button to copy an image to clipboard not working
- Nothing occurs after clicking OK on a missing Flash prompt in widgets
- KDE file chooser freezing after hovering folders
- Premature shut down when canceling a download dialog before clicking save
- Opening content via "Pass web address directly to application" not working
- Not being able to close the Ctrl+Tab cycler with mouse highlighting activated
- Wrong color appearing on tooltips in X11 based version on UNIX
- Highlighted entry in drop downs being painted white on white in X11 mode
- Plug-in window sometimes being initially located at 0,0 for a short while
- Widgets with a non-default start file not installing on Windows or UNIX, and close on startup on Mac
- Inability to select items in dropdown menus using the mouse
- Opera Unite applications not showing in panel after installation
- Opera prematurely shutting down when hiding and showing bookmarks in the address bar dropdown
- Launching a previously saved session with two separate Opera windows causing a premature shut down
- Premature shut down when dragging buttons to the status bar
- Widgets only being upgraded to the default path
- Advanced menu in download tab does not appear for files downloaded to non-ASCII folders
- Autoupdate not closing Opera when set to hide in the system tray
- Unable to change or install dictionary in dialog boxes
- Links being opened in external applications close page if page is opened from a panel or from a mail
- Find in page overlay not disappearing when clicking an iframe
- Deleting private data does not remove closed windows
- Opera not prefetching icons for bookmarks from the custom/ folder
- Percent sign in encoded url from an external application being encoded by Opera again
- Buttons often being disabled in new non-modal dialogs
- Many user selected locales not getting get a language if it is available
- Incorrect Tab cycling order after closing tab opened in background, or with "Activate the next tab" enabled
- "More..." in the Widget Upgrade Wizard displaying an error page
- Opera starting when launching the Widget installer
- Command + Enter saves address to typed history even if in a private tab
- Radio buttons causing premature shut downs with accessibility software
- Opera prematurely shutting down on exit when a state button (Opera Unite or Opera Link) has been added and the appearance
dialog is still open
- Ability to open multiple "Downloads" tabs when one is already open in another Opera window
- Panel order being wrong after a restart
- "More..." button in the 'Why do I need to upgrade?' Widget Upgrade Wizard has no effect
- No usable interface being available when Tab bar is set to "show only when needed"
- Pressing Command or Shift key combination on startup dialogs causes an Opera premature shut down
- Premature shut down when navigating back and forth with a limited cache size
- Right-click > Validate menu item not working
- Inline address completion disappearing after typing www.x
- Delaying tooltips on the Tab bar when moving the cursor between thumbnails
- Checkboxes having no focus indication when being tabbed
- Premature shut down on exit after visiting page with Flash
- Premature shut down when closing tabs
- First typed letter disappearing when adding a web page to Speed Dial
- Access keys Shift+Esc not working
- Opera not starting if only Core fonts are installed
- Tooltip not being cancelled when mouse moves away from Opera
- Tooltip text color being hardcoded
- Problems with colors in certain themes
- Goto Page (F2) dialog not showing a dropdown if compositing is not available
- Premature shut down when launching a widget or Opera Dragonfly with 16-bit color depth
- "Installed-Size" of a Debian package being measured in KB
- Not installing on Centos because of a missing symbol
- Problems copying text containing Unicode characters
- X11 based color picker dialog being missing
- Opera not responding to GTK theme changes while running
- Polyester style having a wrong unchecked state image
- Ctrl+Tab window cannot be opened if previously canceled
- Zoom Slider missing in the X11 version
- Printer dialog failing silently if CUPS can not be loaded
Display and scripting
- HTML5: Added support for
- Enabled dragging of transparent Speed Dial thumbnails under compositing environments
- CSS selector matching performance
- Optimized premultiplication of decoded images
- Performance for plug-ins and animated content
- Full screen not working when the menu bar is on
- Favicons on some Web sites being corrupted
- Being unable to minimize to tray
- Opera not exiting if it started another application
- Various problems when using Flash
- Problem when setting a menu item color in the skin
- The right-mouse button context menu content not being refreshed after subsequent clicks
- Clicking on a submenu causes the parent to close
- Tab chrome missing for a restored tab when new tab is opened in background
- MathML entities not working in Opera 10.5x
- Minimized Opera not restoring when opening an external link
- Shut down when viewing Opera skin images on a page while using the Omelion skin
- Removing support for
UIEvent interfaces not being exposed
- 0.01% height of auto in standards mode not computing to auto (Picasa)
- Stop differentiating between shrink-to-fit and table cell content width propagation
- Absolutely positioned element inside a bottom absolutely positioned element not redrawing when moved
--\s*> not closing a comment
- Scripts hanging at www.toshiba.co.jp (plugin related)
location.replace in iframe turning a previously initiated
location.href assignment in parent
into a replace
- Negative clip left/top value if being larger than an element's width/height hides the element
- Navigating to a different WML card via element not working
- Combining of
hides content at Google Wave
- Reading empty cookie value still appends an
- Caret appearing in the wrong position if put in an empty block beside a float (new reply on Google Wave)
- Freezing caused by nesting positioned and non-positioned elements
- Content overflowing the content edge but not the padding edge triggering scrollbar for
- Mouse coordinates being incorrectly reported to Flash
- Zimbra: UI freezes when closing a calendar item:
history.back() causes an
- Odd XSLT behaviour occurring with (non-URI) ihost names
- Problem when viewing Google Pistview:
document.readyState can revert to "interactive" from "completed" when
content is added to the DOM
- Nested positioned descendants of
inline-block failing to redraw
- Nested positioned descendants of
z-index failing to redraw
- Unexpected 14px
offsetTop for page when closing an inner window for web.qq.com
- Danskebank page not working: Let
document.domain affect the frame navigation policy
- Windowless plugin desynchronizing with the page after scrolling
- Not setting the focus on
DocumentEdit when handling an
onfocus event on the body
- An issue with Webstorage causing a premature shut down
- Excessive memory consumption (<1.5 GB)
- Memory leak on pages with dynamically updated content and SVG animations
- SVG drawing performance problem
- Not being possible to change the KDE style while Opera is running
- Font rendering looking different to the system when using slight or medium hinting
- Premature shut down after changing KDE style and then canceling the save KDE dialog
kfmclient exec not working
- Medium hinting not being mapped to full hinting
- Slight hinting appearance not looking good
- Font kerning being disabled
- Google Earth links from web sites not opening properly
- Cafeworld and potentially other Flash games failing on Facebook
- Objects sent with the wrong
MIME-type being shown incorrectly
application/pls+xml incorrectly being treated as XML
- SVG fixes:
- Opera freezing on loading
- Clip-path incorrectly being applied while painting source graphics for filter effect
- Incorrect handling of empty
- Incorrect handling of the filter primitive "
in" attribute that matches a prefix of a filter source
- Several DOM problems when using Facebook chat
xhr.overrideMimeType() being called before
- Freeze occurring on Youtube inbox related to
- A Gmail problem associated with the width of shrink-to-fit float with fixed-width parent and STF float grandparent: not
updating when content is added
- Not being able to type or enter text in windowless Flash
- DNS query failing when the response contains more than 24 addresses
- Google Docs spreadsheet scrolling to top when typing
- HttpOnly cookies not being accepted through NPAPI (BankID)
- Premature shut down when printing a page where the body has a background color and negative margins
- Spatial navigation highlight not respecting
overflow:hidden on parent element
- Double clicking a
target _blank hyperlink incorrectly opens home
- Focusing an empty RTL (Right-to-Left) textarea causing the caret being shown to the left
- RTL textbox forgetting the caret state after clearing the first letter of the cursive text with a backspace
- Multi-line selection of BiDi text in a RTL textarea being broken
- Not being able to select the last character of cursive text (e.g., Persian) in a textbox using a mouse
- Not being able to scroll to the bottom of a textarea when pasting large texts into it
- Repaint problem when scrolling an element that has the border of another element positioned on top of it
- Erratic downloading from a HTTPS URL with a specified port
- Premature shut down when doing a cache-full cleanup
- IPAPMincho being discarded as a web font even though Windows thinks it acceptable
- Encoding problem when STP/1 host replies to a STP/0 request
- Page search hits missing when a problematic search hit is visible
Mail, news, chat
- New mail notification stealing focus
- Opera shutting down when tabbing in ther chat message box
- Problem with Zoom box in the email compose page
- Mail not being re-indexed after removing lexicon
- Email contact importer on www.hi5.com triggering a file download
- Copy not work in mail composer
- Mail messages not staying in focus
- Opera freezing when receiving mail
- Mail account wizard not using port 587 for Hotmail as specified in mailproviders.xml
- Feed articles being mixed up
- After accepting a certificate, SSL negotiation fails in some circumstances
- Not being able to install a Skandiabanken CA certificate
- Not being able to accept a self-signed certificate