Opera 10.60 (with Opera Widgets for Desktop) for UNIX changelog
Release date: July 1, 2010
Opera 10.60 is a recommended upgrade offering new and improved features, plus security and stability enhancements. For your
reference, please see the previous Opera 10.60 beta 1 for UNIX
changelog on the Opera changelogs website.
- User-enabled geolocation services are provided through Google Location Services (GLS).
- IP address and WiFi recognition are implemented.
- IP address recognition works with GLS by recognizing your IP address and telling you the cordinates based on it.
- WiFi recognition works with GLS by gathering and then sending a list of all nearby wireless networks including MAC (Media
Access Control) address, SSID (Service set identifier) name, and signal strength, which returns your coordinates.
- An address bar map pin icon indicates a Web page is accessing the Geolocation API.
- Opera geolocation services support the W3C Geolocation
API Specification (http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-geolocation-API-20081222/).
- A user decides to share or not share their device location with a Web site based on trust; see
section 4.2 (http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source.html#privacy_for_recipients) of the W3C Geolocation specification.
- Further information is available at the Opera Desktop Team blog: "The
return of Geolocation" (http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/02/05/skin-fixes-unite-and-then-some).
- See this demo (http://html5demos.com/geo).
Offline Web Applications
- Support is added for Offline Web Applications (http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/offline.html#offline)
implementing the user interface for caching.
- This allows documents to communicate with each other regardless of their source domain, and is designed in a way which
does not enable cross-site scripting attacks.
- See this demo (http://html5demos.com/offlineapp).
- Web Workers (http://www.w3.org/TR/workers/) is an API for running scripts
in the background independently of any user interface scripts. This allows for long-running scripts that are not interrupted
by scripts that respond to clicks or other user interactions, and allows long tasks to be executed without yielding to keep
the page responsive.
- See these Opera demos:
- The WebM format consists of the VP8 video and Vorbis audio
codecs wrapped inside a .webm container. It is based on the Matroska media container format, and offers high-quality
video with fast seeking.
- WebM works together with the HTML5
<video> element supported in the Opera Presto rendering engine.
- See these Opera articles:
Better integration with UNIX native systems
- No longer uses Qt; now relies on native integration via Opera's "Quick" toolkit utilizing GTK or KDE4 libraries if available
- Cross-platform bytecode interpreter for a new register-based instruction set
- Internal object model with automatic classification and inline property caching
- Machine code generation (JIT compiler)
- Divided garbage collection heap: automatically traverses the memory of active heaps
- Caching of compiled programs
- Reduced memory usage
- Further Carakan information (http://my.opera.com/core/blog/2009/12/22/carakan-revisited)
Opera Presto 2.6 rendering engine
The Opera Presto 2.6 rendering engine includes the following additions and improvements.
- CSS 2.1
border-radius property (rounded corners)
- CSS3 Backgrounds and Borders
- CSS3 2D Transforms
- CSS3 Transitions
- HTML 5
<video> element DOM APIs to reflect changes in the specification
- HTML 5
<param> element (child of the HTML 5
<object> element) support for controlling
buffered-rendering property; see the
W3C reference (http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/painting.html#BufferedRenderingProperty)
- Text search inside SVG
- Animated raster images (APNG, GIF) in all the SVG elements that support raster graphics, i.e.,
Opera Vega graphics library
- Renders all graphics in Opera
- Employs rounded corners, box shadow, animations, etc.
- Improved support for SVG and the HTML 5
- Further Vega information (http://my.opera.com/core/blog/2009/02/04/vega)
Opera Widgets for Desktop
Although they run outside the browser, Opera Widgets have been treated as entities inside the browser in many respects.
The new Opera Widgets for Desktop ends this dependency on the browser and moves Opera Widgets to the next
level: that of first-class applications. Above all, Opera Widgets for Desktop gives widgets the potential to replace some
native applications on the computer.
Opera Widgets for Desktop includes the following features:
- A Widget manager located within the UNIX Applications menu.
- Widget lifespans are separated from the Opera desktop browser.
- Each widget runs in a separate process.
- Integration with the operating system includes support for creating desktop and application shortcuts.
- Widget control buttons organize important actions:
- Support is provided for different widget modes such as "Application" and "Widget".
- Notification pop-ups are supported.
- Password manager is supported.
- File I/O (Input/Output) access is supported.
- The upgrading of installed widgets from current to new runtime is supported.
- Improved support for Opera Dragonfly is provided.
- Remote debugging is possible; configurable via a widget's context menu.
Non-modal notification messages
- Notification message windows no longer interrupt workflow
- Switching of tabs or windows while these dialogs are displayed is now allowed
- Creating, browsing, and then closing private tabs and private windows removes all records of Web sites visited through
- Using the traditional new Opera "O" menu or the traditional Opera File menu, go to:
- File > New Private Tab
- File > New Private Window
- Support is established for:
- Session storage: offers a temporary storage of data.
- Local storage: stores data for a longer period until the user explicitly clears it.
- The Address field autocomplete list now includes opera:webstorage.
- Warning dialogs when exceeding storage quotas:
- User option is available to increase, or set unlimited quotas for Web storage.
- See: W3C Web Storage (http://www.w3.org/TR/webstorage/).
Web SQL Database
- Support is established for:
- Storage of data in a more structured manner.
- Querying data using SQL.
- Warning dialogs when exceeding storage quotas:
- User option added to increase, or set unlimited quotas for Web database.
- The Address field autocomplete list now includes opera:webdatabases.
- See: W3C Web SQL Database (http://www.w3.org/TR/webdatabase/).
Changes since Opera 10.60 beta 1
- The design of the "Fraud Warning" dialog
- Allowing file choosers to be editable in the native UI
- Adding support for enabling/disabling nettype, leaving it enabled by default
- More information being displayed in "opera --full-version"
- Letting Opera Speed Dial dialogs run on top of Opera if composite is enabled
- Thumbnail quality
- Premature shutdown when using the Mozilla Web Workers demo
- An Application Cache issue when enabling "Work Offline"
- End key putting the cursor at beginning of next line instead of end of the current line
- Opera reloading images when going back with History Navigation Mode 3
- Gmail checkboxes looking odd
- Block level elements not creating new lines in pasted text
- Opera not always exiting after opening the file chooser
- Dragged tabs not being released on drop
- Opera sometimes not realizing that the mouse pointer is hovering above menu items
- No close button being on the menu bar even when turned off on the tabs
- Alt key popping up a menu even if it is used in combinations/shortcuts
- Clicking the tray icon twice breaking the address bar dropdown
- GTK producing an error on exit
- System tooltip text color being used in thumbnail text
- Being able to close Opera while a modal dialog is open
- Premature shutdown using spatial navigation when two scrollable containers are positioned near each other
- Cache-related premature shutdown when reloading pages
- Incorrect font being used for CJK contents within a page of other language
- File handling when dealing with zip archives
- Search suggestions fixes:
- Search suggestions not working in the address bar when using search keywords
- Default Speed Dial search not being present in many locals
- Search drop-down getting mixed up when deleting a previous search
- Clicking on search suggestions in the Go To dialog dismissing the dialog
- Premature shutdown on exit after using the download context menu
- HTML5 video and gif animations stop playing when context menu is open
- Not being able to type in file input fields in the user interface
- Text being cut off in the browser identification dropdown in Polish version
- QuAVlive Webm Adaptive HTTP Streaming Demo prematurely shutting down Opera
- Opera Unite Messenger application not loading
- Fast history navigation stops working when document cache reaches half the size of previous problem level
- Premature shutdown when closing a tab with mouse gesture over Flash
Display and scripting
- XIM support working with input methods such as
- Selection of default CJK fonts
- IME support
- Serif fonts being used as default in form elements (input, text fields, and buttons)
- Documents (where
documentedit has been enabled) stay in memory along with every later document in the tab
- No load event occurring for not-yet-visible images (hp.com slideshow: Main content on hp.com not displaying when "slideshow"
- IMG x/y not being supported (date picker in wrong location)
innerHTML not stripping quotes on attributes, and
innerHTML not being lowercase
- Image upload to blogger.com appearing to fail
- Page load producing a blank page
- Premature shutdown when rich text editing a page
- Meta refresh without a URL reloading the page
- Premature shudown when performing a normal shutdown procedure
- An issue when printing and print previewing emails
- Large images only rendering up to 5-10%, then nothing until fully loaded
- Yahoo! Mail chat truncating output sent from Opera
- Premature shutdown after inspecting an element with a
- Background being corrupted when scrolling (large negative text-indent)
- Not all
param values being displayed
- Scrolling a page by dragging the scrollbar in print preview stops scrolling when halfway through the document
- Range header not being sent for a redirected (301) URL
- Premature shutdown occurring in the cookie dialog
- Large amount of overflow (in the vertical direction) disabling scrollbars
- XHR (XMLHttpRequest) custom headers not being resent when redirected
- An unclosed, absolutely positioned
span freezing Opera if ancestors are relatively positioned, with one of
them being an
- Authentication information not being propagated to Java
- MHTML file with "
Content-Encoding:gzip" header causing a premature shutdown
- Popup blocker being circumvented when using JS URL and fake click
IFRAME height property being ignored in MSR mode if
- Setting the same JS URL as the
src of a
script element halts its loading
active-window event not being sent after a dialog is closed, with focus then switching back to the opener
- A premature shutdown when using inline search
- Incorrect reporting of the offline cache size
- Application cache list not containing unvisited caches after shutdown/restart
- Plug-in fixes:
- New Java plug-in not finding the applet on local pages
- A problem with the Quake Live (and friends) plug-in
- Voddler plug-in scripting issues
- Swedish BankID causing Opera to prematurely shut down (pensionsmyndigheten.se)
- Not being able to click links at dramaten.se: script resumes after inserting a non-plugin object
- Flash not always painting until being forced (YouTube channels)
OuterHTML on nested objects with
document.onmouseover disables page interaction
- DivX Webplayer plug-in crashing, and then showing a plug-in failed dialog
- An issue with Netflix streaming video
- Application cache quota strategy not working properly
- Action field focus being lost after typing two characters in shortcut preferences
- Address dropdown appears "cut" sometimes in compositing Window Managers
- Window size not being retained on a restart
- HTTPS information in the address bar moving aimlessly
- GTK tooltip colors not being obeyed
- A problem occurring with font hinting (fat fonts)
- Not being able to revisit a cached URL
- Page cache deleting application cache URLs
- Hangup being caused by
img/float/iframe in a width-restricted element
- Unicode freezing (Wikipedia)
- Form input fields with border-radius and no border being invisible
- Premature shutdown when attempting to load mountpoint URL of file inside a zip file
- Opera freezing when changing
src attribute of
audio element in event handler for "ended"
- Opera not finding all plug-ins
- share/opera/defaults/pluginpath.ini not including $HOME/.local/lib/opera/plugins
- Premature shutdown on exit after hovering menu bar under Gnome
- Sub-folder not being created when saving HTML with images
- Changing a file extension when changing a file filter
- Opera not starting if you use the locale "C"
- Missing extra country information when using
- Thumbnail animations stall X until it is completed when using Compiz
- Text highlight color not updating when switching a theme
- The Opera Speed Dial dialog showing when Opera is minimized
- Dropdown menu hovering not highlighting the first menu item on first hover
- Wrong cursor being displayed over Opera icon in the system tray
- Difficulties with agreeing or declining license text on small screen netbooks
- Tab cycler being too high when the Menu bar is enabled
- Fontswitching failing in the Opera O-menu
- Window not correctly restoring from fullscreen to maximised
- Not being able to access modal windows after they have been hidden
- Letting the "restore" button on menu bar toggle a page between a maximized and restored state
- Expanding --full-version information
- Menu bar being lost after maximize -> fullscreen -> maximize
- Switching the preferred language not switching the UI language
- Avoid unneccessary resizing in X11Widget
- Optimizing functions in libvega for 64-bit processors
- Premature shutdown when using Web Storage
- Canvas 2D context's font attribute forcing a premature shutdown
- Disabling the Opera Speed Dial search provider is not remembered
- A document being served with an incorrect MIME breaks multistyle/font switch-writing system
- Middle clicking in an empty window not going to URL on clipboard
- Files with non-ascii characters in path not opening when Opera is already running
- Opera UNIX not running with newest GTK version
- An inline element breaking the layout of inline-blocks (deviantart.com)
- Preventing Paste&Go functionality in address bar when Opera Speed Dial dialog is hidden
- Transparent Opera Speed Dial dialogs not rendering correctly
Mail, news, chat
- Prevention of broken searches in mail
- Not being able to attach files to emails with drag and drop
- Panning not updating the scrollbar/scroll position in mail
Offline Web Applications fixes
- The list of application caches not containing unvisited domains after a shutdown/restart
- Offline application cache size being incorrectly reported
- Offline application cache being unavailable for panels
- Offline application cache being unavailable for the special Opera Dragonfly window
- Offline "application_cache" not being stored in a temporary location
Geolocation services fixes
- Adding a mechanism to clear Geolocation preferences
- Corrected several erroneous Geolocation settings
- Checkbox labels in Geolocation Terms and Conditions not being clickable
- "Do you want to share your location" toolbar being displayed even if "remember my choice" was previously selected
- Show the domain rather than URL in the Geolocation toolbar
- Widgets not showing tooltips
- Inconsistent context menu item name; should be "View" instead of "Position"
- Updating the structure of widgets menu
- Wrong ordering of context menus for widgets with image, and for widgets with link
- Implemented validation of certificates used in widget signatures using OCSP
- Fixed vulnerability in Renegotiation feature of the TLS protocol; see our
- Fixed an issue which could be used to trick users into uploading unexpected files, as reported by Andrew Valums; see our
- Fixed exposure of widget properties to third party domains; see our
- Fixed an issue where file inputs could disclose the path to selected files; see our
- Fixed an issue which could allow certain characters to be used for domain name spoofing; see our