Changelog for Opera Beta for Mac
Opera Beta for Mac is available for download.
This release features whitelisting of top-level domains that have implemented anti-homographic character policies or otherwise limited the available set of characters to prevent URL spoofing through use of internationalized domain names (IDN).
Registrars wishing to be added to Opera's whitelist must inform Opera Software of their policies and have these approved.
Changes since Technical Preview 1
- New preference dialog. Most important changes:
- Split into four tabs; General, Wand, Web pages, and Advanced.
- Added preferences for showing notification pop-ups for messages, blocked pop-ups, and completed file transfers (
- Skins have moved to the
- Collapsed address bars in pop-ups now display domain name and security information (when appropriate).
- "Match whole word" option in "Find in page" now correctly locates words next to punctuation marks.
- Added dialog for reporting sites that do not work well with Opera. Available in the "Help" menu.
- When starting download, allow transfer dialog to stay in the background.
- Clicking and holding the "Back" or "Forward" button will show a dropdown with history.
- Improved session manager.
- Removed workspace mode from start-up dialog.
- Let dragged history list elements contain a URL and a title, allowing to drag and drop them to more toolbars and external programs.
- Both typed and redirected URLs will now be saved to address field drop-down history.
- Added font preference setting for reading e-mail.
- Keyboard shortcut changes and fixes:
- Avoid single-key shortcuts for drastic actions;
- Shift+P replaces P for print preview.
- Shift+I replaces G for toggling image display. I loads all images.
- Added Shift+G as a toggle for author mode/user mode.
- Cmd+Alt+F11 toggles "Fit to window width".
- Cmd+U should delete only one line in multi-line edit fields.
- Disabled keyboard shortcuts involving Alt Gr during inline find to prevent interference with typing of special characters.
- Added ability to edit proxy settings in
- Prevent notifications from showing up when other applications are running in full-screen mode.
- Improved display of multiple simultaneous notifiers.
- Native skin icons now have the necessary transparency.
Display and scripting
- Implemented support for SVG 1.1 Tiny.
- Added support for document.selection and document.getSelection in form input fields.
- Added support for TextRange with methods collapse, move, moveStart, and moveEnd, required by Google Suggest.
- Solved issues with XMLHttpRequest. Google Suggest is now fully supported.
- Fixed issues with styling of <fieldset>. This solves display issues with the Wordpress administrative interface.
- New and updated ERA settings, multiple fixes related to "Fit to window width"/ERA.
- Added support for simple Exchangeable Image File Format (EXIF) information in properties of .jpg files.
- Solved data:URI decode issues.
- Display correct image type in properties of .ico files.
- Fixed display issues with the "input" and "button" elements.
- Added Mac encodings "macintosh", "x-mac-ce", "x-mac-cyrillic", "x-mac-greek" and "x-mac-turkish" to list of known encodings.
- Solved issue with links on non-UTF-8 pages containing named entities or numeric references with escaped HTML characters in forms data part of URL.
- Fixed regression causing hidden radio buttons to be unintentionally selected.
- Multiple scripting fixes.
- Speeded up scanning for encoding declaration.
- Fixed issue with some installed fonts not being properly detected and used.
- Fixed styling of xml:lang.
- Fixed regression causing accidental padding of textareas.
- Fixed several issues with bidirectional text.
- Require "dir" attribute for BDO elements to be valid and override bidi in standards mode.
- Added support for
Messaging and Newsfeeds
- Improved handling of e-mail attachments
- Attachments in are now displayed above the message headers
- New "Save attachments" dialog allows for saving multiple attachments in one operation.
- Image attachments also displayed inline.
- Added support for and auto-detection of Atom newsfeeds.
- When user sets up a gmail.com account in the "New account" wizard, correct values are filled out automatically.
- Improved handling of quoted-printable encoding. QP is now decoded by default in incoming messages, in violation of RFC2047 §5.3. RFC compliance can be met by setting "Allow Incoming QuotedString QP=1" in accounts.ini.
- IRC settings are now stored in incoming options file rather than in accounts.ini.
- Setting in IRC account properties for whether or not to accept incoming connections.
- Improved handling of IRC URLs. Will match the server name in the URL against all servers listed for an account, and only create a new account if none match.
- Fix for not saving draft when pressing Cmd+S in a compose window.
- Avoid problems with flowing in headers included in forwarded messages.
- Reference header fix affecting threading in e-mail and newsgroups.
- Recognize the <source> element in RSS 2.0 feeds and use it as the author name if no other name is found.
- Improvements to detection of HTML content in RSS newsfeeds.
- Corrected handling of Atom content with mode="escaped".
- Fix for chat pages not scrolling properly.
- Added whitelist of safe top-level domains for IDN.
- TLDs are considered safe if they have implemented anti-homographic character policies or otherwise limited the available set of characters to prevent spoofing. Only a single script or specific combinations are allowed in each label (separated by "." or "-").
- The current whitelist contains the following top-level domains: no, jp, de, se, kr, tw, cn, at, dk, ch, and li.
- The list is colon-separated and included in Opera 7 Preferences. It is updated automatically in the Opera version check.
- Domain names from other top-level domains that contain characters outside Latin 1 will be displayed in punycode, an encoding syntax designed for use with IDNA, specified in RFC3492.
- Improvement to IDNA handling. Script detection now allows more IDNs to be displayed in Unicode.
- Switching from IDN whitelisting to blacklisting can be done by adding a '~' as the first character in the string, that is, "~:com:tw:"
- Learn more about this security issue and Opera's response in our security advisory.
- Added small, yellow security bar displayed inside the address field when visiting a site using security protocols.
- The padlock icon is now displayed when the protocol is HTTPS, regardless of security state.
- An open padlock is displayed if the HTTPS site is considered insecure.
- The organization name from the certificate is displayed in the security bar.
- Added support for the Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) -- real-time requests for certificate status.
- Improved security dialog launched when clicking padlock icon in address field.
- Optional padlock button that can be placed on any toolbar now behaves similarly to padlock in address field.
- SSLv2 and 40-bit encryption are enabled by default again, as they are required for some sites to function properly.
- Readded experimental support for TLS Extensions and TLS 1.1. Setting is disabled by default.
- Show warning triangle when asking user to allow full permissions to a signed Java applet.
- Form elements are now printed correctly.
- Background images will now be printed by default.
- Enabled downloading of the file ua.ini for site-specific changing of the user agent string. Check is performed automatically with the "Check for new version" function.
- Wand integration with Keychain discontinued.
- Opera now defaults to starting with home page, rather than "Continue from last time".
- Multiple stability issues solved.
- Performance improvements.
- Remember user's setting for default download path in Opera if changed from system default.
- Allow redirect URLs to be loaded from cache. Improves offline browsing.
- Solved problems with URLs passed to Opera from external applications.
- Fixed issue where opening PDF files when having the file type setting "open with default application" would launch a terminal window.
- Solved issue with downloading via FTP to directory where file with identical name existed.
- '$' in searches now works as intended.
- Fixed several issues with opera:about.